Español: es una foto de una tablet Samsung (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Friday reflections on the weeks end. Yes it’s Friday and the end of another week. It’s amazing to think that the first month of the new year is nearly completed.
Earlier in the week I had been asked to assist on a project mapping a retail location. Intrigued and the fact that they wanted to pay me as well, got my attention. So the past two mornings I’ve been getting up at 0430 just to be on site at the retail location by 0600.
Day one was spent using a Samsung Galaxy 7″ tablet. This is my first time of spending any time using a tablet. The tablet was nice and light and easy to use. The tablet controls were easy to use and the device never crashed in the more than 5 hours I was using it. I spent the time taking pictures with the device and they were pleasantly east to do.
Software written for this particular project was used with the device and the integration was nearly flawless. There were only a couple of UI issues, and they certainly weren’t deal killers for the project. Of the five of us who were using the Samsung Galaxy 7″ tablet’s, only one tablet had a camera failure during the day.
Day two was spent continuing the project in a bit more detail. This time with a Dell Laptop and an attached USB barcode scanner. This day the UI and the bulk of the associated hardware wasn’t up to the day’s task. It was quickly evident that those developers who designed the software had never tested it in a real world application. This I find is unacceptable, and far to often the norm in these situations.
The software developed for the data gathering was completely user unfriendly and unintuitive. No only that, as I had to teach three of the team members how to copy and past repetitive data into a standard Excel spreadsheet. Also, while using cell drop down boxes for data input might be handy, excluding user keyboard input is an overall failure option in this case. Also, having a standard set of data from which to choose, while nice, in the long run doesn’t fully reflect real world evidence. Again, as users, not being able to input a variance to the programmers predetermined data set gives a fictional picture of reality.
Overall the days were a success with the project being completed. It is nice to see companies beginning to embrace current over the counter technology for their daily use. Now to get more of the developers and end users to have conversations about how to maximize the integration.